Friday, September 14, 2007

red ribbon effort

In a moment of discouragement on today's run, I thought I should just quit running and stick to hobbies I'm actually good at, like cooking.
I started cooking as a little kid. My first effort was cream puffs--I was fascinated by how the batter could turn into something with hollow in the middle, which I'd fill up with Jello pudding or cool whip. I also loved baking bread--big, fluffy loaves with hard crusts. I'd knock on the top to hear if they were done.
I decided to enter my bread in the county fair. The knocking test wasn't quite scientific, and I might've been too anxious to really listen. It turned out to be raw in the middle. The judges were kind, but honest. I got a red ribbon.
I still love to cook. All the not-quite-there dishes haven't changed that, and I ended up getting really good at it.
If I get good at running, that'll be great. If not, I'll get a medal anyway, and I still get all the good stuff.
Here's today's cooking.

2 comments:

runswithdog said...

I often have moments like that when running - why am I doing this? I look pathetic out here shuffling around, I am tired of being BOP... But as someone commented on my blog - it's the couch that will kill you, not the run :-)

BTW, your food looks delish - I think I might just have to make up some soup :-)

michelle said...

Thanks! My running picked up, too.