Monday, October 15, 2007

Treading lightly

So in honor of the blogger action environmental day, I stayed home from work today. No emissions from my car, no papers that I toss in the trash because my school doesn't recycle. Just me and my girlfriend and our cats, eating noodles and saving energy.
OK, I really stayed home because I was tired/lazy/sickish and just wanted to. But I do try to tread lightly on the earth.
First there's the vegan thing. My cat Pumpkin's sitting with me as I write this. When I point at things, he follows the direction. He responds to my anxiety when it's elevated. He sleeps on my head. His consciousness is different from mine, but it's real. This is all reason enough to be vegan, but the environmental benefits are, too.
Then there's our apartment. You save some energy living in a box in a box, especially if it's old construction.
We cook almost all our food, and what I can get local, I do.
And I do recycle.
I'm hoping it all lightens my impact--I like seasons, and I'm worried about the polar bears.

4 comments:

madeinalaska said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
madeinalaska said...

sooo Hello Ms. Michelle..
my older daughter(is in collage now) she ALAWYAS required a personal day seemed like once a month .. It started in grade school then Jr. high and on to high school.. she wasn't necessarily sick.. just needed to re group.. I pretty much allways allowed and secretly envied this it... as I seemed to be unable to deem myself worthy of a flipping day off.. sooo GOOD FOR YOU BOTH
take care,
Julee

madeinalaska said...

let me just say... I had to trash my first comment because.. I had mentioned my hubby's job..(he doesn't want me too) but, god bless him he is VERY involved w/ saving the polar bears!!

michelle said...

Oh, thanks for the comments, and yes god bless your husband and the polar bears!