Sunday, October 7, 2007

Steamtown

This was a beautiful race.
I was glad I had my garmin, because they didn't have clocks at the mile markers. What they did have was people--four volunteers for every runner, wildly enthusiastic and generous and kind. And people, out in front of their churches and houses cheering. Some that stand out--the white haired woman who yelled "woman power!" to me by the start, the little girl asking every runner her name than cheering us by name, the woman at the first aid station that appeared exactly when my blisters started to hurt and chatted with me as I sat on the ground, removed my sock and shoe, and band-aided my toes, the volunteers who refilled my gatorade bottle, the kids handing out pretzel sticks on the course.
The hills were exhilarating, the heat and humidity sucked. The people were amazing. I am so grateful.

4 comments:

rustyboy said...

YES!

I am incredibly excited for you! And proud! And blistery!

Well done, Michelle. Renee and I are still stupified that you stopped, took off your shoes and socks on several occassions, and STILL managed a great time!

michelle said...

Thank you!
This was the take care of problems instead of powering it out race. If I hadn't lost the 3 minutes here and there to pee and take care of my feet, I don't think I would've run faster, I think I would've been screwed.
My shoe AND sock only came off once, at least.

madeinalaska said...

Bravo! you are a rockstar!
Julee

DawnB said...

Congratulations Michelle great job!! you and Renee totally rocked!!!